March 31, 2013

Sewing : Pattern Review McCalls 2401

Remember this dress?

{See full post here}

Firstly, thank you all for taking the time and visiting the blog. I received a few emails asking about the pattern I used for this and other projects. If I made any alterations to the pattern, was it difficult etc etc...so I decided to do a pattern review series for all the projects that I done, one post at a time. :)



PatternMcCalls 2401


Pattern Description: 
Semi-fitted sheath dress. This is truly a semi fitted pattern with the ease above body measurement of 3-4". Choose pattern size depending on the body measurement and fit you desire.

Pattern Sizing: 
6 till 22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Absolutely. Although I did make many modifications. It looked exactly like the illustrations on my other projects that I made without modifications.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? 
I like that it is a classic pattern and looks very elegant. And who does not like the sheath dress, ha?

Fabric Used: 
Silk jacquard knit.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I eliminated the center back zipper for the knit fabric, removed the darts in front and back. However I kept the bust darts. Also, I had to increase the seam allowance to 1.5" to achieve the fit.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? 
Yes absolutely. It is an absolute must for anyone who knows or is learning to sew.

Conclusion:
It is a very versatile pattern with many combinations that can be made. I have made it in knit and cotton fabric. You shall soon be seeing more projects in this pattern.

And for those who would want ready to wear options in the sheath dress. Here are a few -